The Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education is an open-access peer-reviewed bi-annual journal that provides a forum for researchers writing about educational practices and theoretical and methodological approaches to learning in higher education.
When considering the suitability of a submission for acceptance and preparing a review for JLDHE, our reviewers are asked to bear in mind the following questions:
Contribution to the field
- Is this paper relevant to the journal and up to date?
- What does it contribute to current debates in the field of Learning Development?
- Is it original and interesting?
- Does the paper have a clear and succinct title that adequately represents its point?
- Does the abstract summarise the paper’s perspective, purpose and key findings?
- Does the paper tell a coherent story? Does the argument flow or are there any significant gaps?
- Has it got an engaging opening paragraph?
- Has it got a clear concluding paragraph that clarifies the article’s key message and its contribution to the field?
- Is it the right length, does it use subheadings effectively, and does it include 3-4 keywords?
Methods and methodology
- Are methods used appropriate to the work reported?
- Is the methodology clearly identified, explained and discussed?
- Are the results discussed in a logical way? Are potential weaknesses and/or alternative interpretations acknowledged?
References / Sources
- Are all the references and sources appropriate and do they take account of current work in the field?
Style and language issues
- Is the article written in a way that is succinct, clear and accessible to a wide audience?
- Is it written in plain English? (avoiding unnecessary jargon, explaining technical terms)
- Is it technically accurate? Are complex ideas clearly expressed?
- Does it follow JLDHE Style Guide? Is correct referencing used in the text and bibliography? (please refrain from correcting it; just indicate)
Any other comments to support the author
- What content / thematic issues need addressing to bring this paper to publishable standard?
- What language / formatting issues need addressing to bring this paper to publishable standard?